Physiotherapy is a primary care, client-focused health profession dedicated to improving quality of life by:
- Promoting optimal mobility, physical activity and overall health and wellness
- Assessing, diagnosing and treating physical symptoms and limited movement caused by injury, aging, disability, or other health conditions
- Improving and maintaining optimal functional independence and physical performance
- Rehabilitating injury and the effects of disease or disability with therapeutic exercise programs and other interventions
- Teaching patients how to restore, maintain and/or maximize movement, reduce pain, and manage any chronic symptoms
- Teaching patients how to stay well, avoid future injury and achieve the best quality of life they can
Physiotherapy is anchored in movement sciences and aims to enhance or restore function of multiple body systems. The profession is committed to health, lifestyle and quality of life. This holistic approach incorporates a broad range of physical and physiological therapeutic interventions and aids.
Physiotherapy services are those that are performed by physiotherapists or any other trained individuals working under a physiotherapist’s direction and supervision.