Our Concussion Clinic is an evidence-based program that is multi-disciplinary in nature. It was designed to appropriately assess and manage individuals who may have suffered a Sport or Recreational related concussion and provide them with a progressive return to both mental and physical activity. This team based approach includes seeing an Athletic Therapist and Sport Medicine Physician. Depending on your assessment, the team may refer you to other specialists to help aid in your recovery.
Who is Eligible:
- Sport-related concussion (diagnosed or suspected)
- It is within six weeks of injury
- You are over the age of 13
- The concussion is not related to a vehicle collision
- The concussion is not related to a WCB injury
What to Expect at Your First Appointment
- Arrive on Time. Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment for paperwork completion
- Bring Your Provinicial Healthcare Card
- After filling out a symptom checklist, you will be seen by an Athletic Therapist who will take a detailed history of your injury and complete a thorough concussion exam
- The Athletic Therapist will present your history and exam findings to your Sport Medicine Physician who may perform additional testing and will provide you with a treatment plan. This may include rest, activity modification, physiotherapy, or a referral to another specialist
- Your appointment will take up to 60 minutes
Sport Related concussions need to follow the guidelines born out of the Berlin Consensus that have been published by Parachute Canada and the Canadian Concussion Collaborative - namely multidisciplinary, physician led management and treatment.